July 30, 2009
July 29, 2009
July 26, 2009
July 25, 2009
July 21, 2009
- Pat Conroy tells all and makes me crave Charleston (doesn't take much) in this gorgeous, glossy spread.
- I'll also add that there is an awesomely thorough South of Broad Guide to Charleston.
- THE 2009 IDEA HOUSES! Need I say more? Okay, I will--inspiring design on every page.
- Eco-friendly dog products from around the South. Harper Stallings, you can now be more like your big sister.
- A story on Blue Dog painter, George Rodrigue! New Orleans isn't the only town with a crush on this artist's work.
- A how-to on creating a Southern garden icon: The French oil jar fountain. No courtyard is compete without one.
- A recipe-chocked and photo driven story called "A Taste of Old Florida." Three cheers for seafood.
- Spotlight on four one-room schoolhouses across the south reminds me of the region's heritage.
- There's a fab guide to bargain deals in the South. Info on a Tibi outlet and where to get last-season Neiman Marcus.
- One of my favorite editors around here, Les Thomas, hits gold with this month's Southern Journal.
July 20, 2009
July 15, 2009
July 13, 2009
July 9, 2009
July 8, 2009
If there is one thing (and trust me, there's more than one thing) I've discovered in my two months interning in Southern Living travel headquarters, it's that these people know the south. Seriously--any one of the editors can rattle off where locals dine on the freshest seafood, the personality of City A compared to City B, and how on earth to pronounce that little island of the coast of Carolina.
These erudite scholars of the South were prime suspects for assistance in compiling a Southern Bucket List. Here's their Top 40 Things to Do in the South Before You Die.