April 23, 2010

Julep.

I'm a 21-year old
pearl-wearing
thick-Southern-drawled
hunting-alongside-Dad
tailgate-mastering
Southern girl.

But I got zero clue what a mint julep tastes like.

Shouldn't I amend this issue soon?

I mean, if nothing else, in premature honor of that little horse race up in Louisville, right?


So when a latest Garden & Gun email in my inbox gave the mint julep recipe from Tipsy Parson in my beloved New York City, my mouth watered a tad. It tinkers from the original julep (horrors? nah.), running more along the lines of a frozen drink.

And duh--anything that resembles a Sonic cherry slushie gets the green light from me.


Concord Grape Mint Julep (Serves 4)8 oz. bourbon 
4 oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
4 oz. mint simple syrup*
4 oz. Concord grape reduction**
4 cups ice
Mint sprigs, for garnish
Blend all ingredients in blender until ice is broken up and drink is uniformly smooth. Serve with a small bouquet of fresh mint sprigs.
*Mint Simple Syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 bunch mint
Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, add whole mint sprigs, and simmer for ten minutes. Strain and cool.
**Concord Grape Reduction
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
3 cloves
1⁄2 tsp. black peppercorn
1⁄2 tsp. white peppercorn
1⁄4 tsp. anise seed
1 quart Concord grapes
1⁄2 cup water
Make a sachet with all dry ingredients. Simmer sachet, grapes, and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until grapes are broken down and soft (about 45 minutes), gradually adding more water if needed. Remove sachet, and strain the reduction to remove seeds. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator. Reduction may be kept refrigerated for up to a week and works great with many other applications (pork, duck, cheesecake, gelato, etc.).



2 comments:

  1. It could be said that I'm absolutely addicted to your blog. It's MARVELOUS! The wit and Southern style is just all too perfect! In short, you've nailed it girl. You, dear, have seriously got it goin' on. I'm eager to try this elaborate Mint Julep recipe this summer, as am I excited about the Garden & Gun emails I just subscribed to! Thanks for supplying me with an entertaining means of procrastination!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlyn, I'm thinking that as a true Southern girl, life is not complete without a trip to the biggest deb event of the season, the Kentucky Derby in Louisville where we can serve you up a real mint julep. And since this year calls for rain, and we wouldn't want it to ruin your hat...because I know it would be fabulous, I thinking you need to come for a stay in Louisville next year. K? Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...