Alas. Three days and counting until I take down the photographs, birthday cards, notable Words-of-the-Day hanging in my Travel and Livings department cubicle here at SL. But before I depart, here are my top 10 reasons to get excited about the September issue of my favorite magazine Southern Living (hey, what can I say? I feel a little ownership.) Can I get a "go team South?"
- Kentucky’s Bourbon Country guide written by an editor/fellow ADPi three doors down from my cube. As a new 21-year-old, I could stand to learn a thing or two.
- Best hotel lobbies in D.C. I was actually in Annette’s office yesterday and she mentioned that The Williard’s claim to fame is coining the phrase “lobby.” Learn something new every day...
- Designer of Hotel San Jose Liz Lambert spills creative décor tips. “I think of the Rolling Stones in the early 1970s. It’s beautiful decadence,” she says.
- Maybe I’m just fresh off the shrimp-boat from visiting my friend on Plash Island (victory picture with a catfish to prove it), but Wanda McKinney’s story about the Alabama Gulf Coast nudges nostalgic pride for Stallings summers in the South.
- A list of walks through D.C. compiled with help from yours truly, le intern.
- In Homes, two antique chandeliers hang from a swoon-worthy pristine white kitchen’s celing. This page shall be torn out and preserved from when I’m out of college.
- A list of 12 divine salvage ideas for your home—cue old barn matierials, antique lanterns, and the like.
- Stunning photography from a Roswell, Ga. home where weathered meets sleek.
- Six New Ways With Corn Bread? The baby chef within me delights. And then I found a Spiked Arnold Palmer recipe. I’m anxious to try as I’m always the girl at the restaurant: “Can I have half lemonade, half sweet tea, please?”
- A guide on how to start a running career on the right foot. (Sorry. Had to.)
If you are a reader in one of these states, look forward to some homegrown stories:
Mid-Atlantic Living The architecture-lover in me was thrilled about a blurb on FLW’s Fallingwater in Mill Run, Pa. (snaps for Katie my fellow intern for writing it)
Carolina Living Wilkes County residents turned a underutilized space into Yadkin River Greenway—grab your Chacos and check out this green mecca.
Florida Living Colombia native Beto Perez launched a new Miami work-out trend: Zumba. Now where can I take a class in Birmingham?
What sounds appealing to you?