May 9, 2011

Leah's song.

Photo courtesy of Tumblr.

It's like this: I heard this sermon by a guy named Matt Carter three weeks ago in Austin. And there's this one part that still has me bewitched...

He preached from Genesis 29, at that whole Jacob-Rachel-love-thing part. The whole sermon is fantastic really, but I like the part when he talks about Leah. So this guy named Jacob (who's pretty tight with God) sees Rachel and BAM--falls. She's gorgeous/hot/great and the guy's sold. Good news: she likes him back. Her father Laban will give Rachel, his youngest, to Jacob in marriage if Jacob works seven years for him. Note this: the Bible really does say that Rachel was "beautiful in form" but Leah, the firstborn daughter, had "weak eyes." You got that? It's important.

Laban, jerk that he is if you ask me, tricks Jacob and on the wedding day, puts his firstborn Leah under the wedding veil. After seven years of work. Jacob's decieved. Jerk.

Longstoryshort, Jacob works seven more years and gets his prize.

But Mr. Carter brought up something I'd not considered: Have you thought about it from Leah's point of view? She loved him. She did. She fell so hard. And never had a chance.

"I guarantee you that from the time she was little, her daddy told her 'Leah, you're just as beautiful as Rachel. Don't let anyone tell you differently; you're just as beautiful... I know the guys are looking at your sister, but it's okay. I'm going to find someone for you. You're going to get married first."

And in waltzes Jacob into their lives. And he could care less about her.

Affliction.

She wanted Jacob so badly. But honestly, she just wasn't attractive to him. Pretty enough. Even when Rachel is found barren, and Leah is the wife whose womb is open--victory, right? Wrong. Still Jacob doesn't care. Doesn't fall in love.

First son:
"It is because the LORD has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now."
Second son:
"Because the LORD heard that I am not loved, he gave me this one too."
Third son:
"Now at last my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons."

He'll sleep with her. But he doesn't love Leah.

But
Fourth son:
"This time I will praise the LORD.”
She gives him to God. After all those trials.

God poured his faithfulness in her life. It wasn't heartbreak--Leah was walking through tragedy. There may not be a better picture of God's love, presence, and faithfullness than the story of Leah. THIS son, she says, is for the Lord.

Ever heard of the Lion of Judah?
That's a name for Jesus.
God picked Leah to bear the line.
Maybe Jacob didn't love her, but God did.
God wanted her heart.
He loved her too much to let her put all that trust and hope in a man. In a human.
It's God's to have.

Maybe God's doing something in your heart that hurts. But maybe it's to get you to give your heart to him.

"Any affliction is for your comfort and salvation."

Wow.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a cool way to view something that Leah - and we - see as tragic & heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing this beautiful truth from God's Word. I've been studying the book of Esther with my Bible study small group and girl, it is absolutely PACKED with tons of great promises & truths for us women :) Even when she & all the Jews had a death sentence over their heads, God had a bigger plan to give them hope & a future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I posted a piece called "Three Ring Circus: The Thrill of Couples Counseling paydayloans many small businesses are upset about the recently passed $700 billion bailout plan.
    Also see my website: paydayloans

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...